Diaz-Balart Meets with Parkland Families, President Trump to Discuss School Safety
WASHINGTON, D.C. –– Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart (FL-25) issued the following statement after meeting with President Trump and Parkland families at the White House this afternoon for a presentation on school safety.
“It was a privilege to join the President and Parkland families at the White House today to announce the launch of schoolsafety.gov, a website designed to assist the public with school safety and security best practices. The creation of a federal clearinghouse for school safety has been a top priority for the Administration and the Parkland families, and I have been working with my colleagues to codify this effort in statute with the Luke and Alex School Safety Act. It is imperative that our communities have access to this vital information, and I look forward to continuing to work with the Administration to ensure the safety of our children and our schools.”
- Codify and structure a Clearinghouse of School Safety Best Practices within DHS/CISA.
- Acknowledge the efforts of past commissions by populating the Clearinghouse with recommendations for comprehensive school safety measures, including threat prevention, preparedness, protection, mitigation, incident response, and recovery to improve the safety posture of a school upon implementation.
- Specify criteria for best practices and recommendations and a process for continuous improvement and updating of Clearinghouse so it remains relevant, easy to use, and does not become an enormous data bank wish list.
- Review all grant programs administered by the Departments of Education, HHS, DOJ, and DHS to identify those that may be used for school security improvements and to identify any Clearinghouse items that are not currently supported by any existing grant program.
- Require the Attorney General and the Secretaries of Education, HHS, and DHS to notify their respective counterparts at the state level and other relevant stakeholders, including parents, of the School Safety Clearinghouse.
- Identify which state officials are responsible for school safety, as well as any grant program that may be used to award grants for the purposes of implementing best practices and recommendations of the Clearinghouse.