Diaz-Balart Welcomes New Additions to Cuba Restricted List
Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart (FL-25) issued the following statement after the Department of State announced approximately thirty new entities and subentities added to its “Cuba Restricted List.” This comes after National Security Advisor Ambassador John R. Bolton announced further restrictions on the Cuban regime during a speech at the Freedom Tower in Miami on November 1, 2018.
“Just as National Security Advisor Ambassador John R. Bolton promised in his speech at the Freedom Tower in Miami earlier this month, the State Department updated its ‘Cuba Restricted List’ to add approximately thirty more entities and subentities associated with the Cuban regime’s military, intelligence, or security services. These restrictions prohibit financial transactions that would channel funds to the regime’s repressive military.
“Echoing what President Trump promised in Miami a year ago, Ambassador Bolton said, ‘the United States will not prop up a military monopoly that abuses the citizens of Cuba.’ Ambassador Bolton also said that the President’s security directive of June 2017 ‘was just the beginning of our effort to pressure the Cuban regime.’
“I welcome the Trump administration’s increased sanctions against the Cuban military, and today’s addition of more entities to the Cuba Restricted List. It is crucial that democracy, human rights and liberty remain central to our U.S.-Cuba policy. Tight sanctions must remain in place until all political prisoners are liberated, independent media, political parties, and labor unions are legalized, and free, multiparty elections are scheduled. I look forward to continuing to work with the administration in furthering the cause of freedom for the Cuban people by closing loopholes and ensuring that U.S. dollars do not enable their oppressors.”
The updated list of entities may be found here.